Baby clothes are very delicate, and a baby’s skin is even more so. This is why it is important to be very careful when washing it. We should have two goals in mind: firstly, we must avoid any harm towards the child’s skin at all costs.
Secondly, it is very useful to take into account a series of recommendations to preserve the clothes we care about so deeply in a perfect state. In doing so, it can be handed down to the child’s siblings, other family members, or our friends’ and acquaintances’ children.
-Read more “What does a newly born need?: The essential product guide”-
Continue reading to find out everything about how to wash baby clothes.
General considerations to take into account when washing baby clothes
- During their first months of age, a baby’s skin is extremely delicate, which is why it is highly recommendable to clean their clothes separately.
- Another option is to wash them along with the rest of the laundry in a protective bag, thus avoiding direct contact with other pieces of clothing.
- Clean lumpy or heavy stains with a cloth before introducing them in the washing machine. This way you will avoid dirt impregnating on other fibers causing permanent damage on the garment.
- When possible, leave the piece of clothing to soak immediately after becoming dirty. In doing so, you will avoid stains becoming dry and it will be easier to remove them during laundering.
- Do not use bleach or stain-remover because they contain chemical substances that could end up harming the baby’s skin if they are not eliminated completely after washing.
- Although there is a debate regarding whether it is better to hand-wash or machine wash, both options are fine. When hand-washing it is important to rinse well as to not leave any soap residue. The same reasoning is applied to machine washing. You should choose double rinsing if the option is available. However, it is more suitable to hand-wash pieces of clothing that are even more delicate such as those with embroidering, lace, or sensitive fabric (silk, tulle…) to avoid damage. For your convenience and energy-saving, given that baby clothes are smaller, use a reduced load programme when available.
Baby clothes detergent
This is definitely the most crucial factor when cleaning baby clothes. We must choose a type of detergent wisely, especially during the baby’s first 6 months of age. During this period a child is more sensitive to suffering a skin problem, such as dermatitis or atopic skin.
Therefore, we must choose a detergent with the following characteristics:
- It must be hypoallergenic, specific to baby clothes.
- Its formula must be carefully intended for them.
- Least harsh possible.
Detergents and soaps with the previous characteristics avoid a baby’s skin irritation even when there is residue between the clothing fibers.
-Interesting! 7 ideas for a baby shower –
General considerations regarding fabric conditioner
It is advisable to use fabric conditioner on baby clothes to make the baby feel as comfortable as possible. Undeniably, soft clothes guarantee pleasure and comfort.
However, as with detergent, fabric conditioner must also be specifically designed for babies: extremely soft and lacking any component that may cause any sort of irritation or allergy on a newly born child’s skin.
Baby towels must be washed separately and we must use less fabric conditioner on them to preserve their texture while also having a nice feel.
An added advantage to using fabric conditioner is that clothes normally take less time to dry, because the product’s formula is designed for a lower water retention during washing time.
Some last tips on ironing and baby clothing preservation
If you don’t like ironing or you don’t have time for it, today’s your lucky day, because most baby clothing does not need ironing. For those pieces of clothing that do require ironing, it’s best to iron it at a rather low temperature. Due to the sensitive fabrics used in their confection, an exposure to heat could damage the clothing.
Finally, to guarantee the clothing’s preservation you must take into account the following before storing between uses: clean every piece of clothing before storing them in their wardrobe or drawer and, most importantly, make sure there is no vomit or stain of any kind. Be extra careful with onesies, pyjamas and wool jumpers.
In following the above mentioned tips you will guarantee a good baby skin care, and preserve their clothes for a longer period of time.